“This is a terrible tragedy, and our thoughts are with the families and loved ones as they grieve such an unimaginable loss,” Airbnb said. “Our priority right now is supporting those impacted as the authorities investigate what happened, and we stand ready to assist with their inquiries however we can.”
The company added that, starting in July, it had updated its free global smoke and carbon monoxide detector program to expedite shipments to hosts in Mexico. More than 200,000 hosts around the world have ordered detectors through the program, the company said.
Mr. Stewart said the families planned to file a wrongful-death lawsuit against Airbnb, which he said would not be the first to involve carbon monoxide poisoning in one of the company’s rentals.
In August, the parents of Daisy Saucedo, 25, of Bloomington, Calif., filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Airbnb and two Airbnb hosts after Ms. Saucedo died of carbon monoxide poisoning and asphyxiation in an Airbnb rental in Guadalajara, Mexico, on Dec. 20, 2021, according to a copy of the complaint filed in California Superior Court in San Bernardino County.
Ms. Saucedo’s fiancé found her face down in the shower, with the water running, after carbon monoxide from an unventilated water heater in the bathroom engulfed the room, the suit says. There was no carbon monoxide detector in the rental, according to a lawyer for Ms. Saucedo’s family, Herbert Hayden.
The lawsuit, Mr. Hayden said, has been stayed while Airbnb seeks to arbitrate the claims of Ms. Saucedo’s estate. Airbnb did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the case.
While the deaths have drawn attention to Airbnb, most resorts and hotels around the world do not place detectors in guest rooms, either, a fact that came into focus in May after a carbon monoxide leak killed three Americans at the luxurious Sandals Emerald Bay resort in the Bahamas. Sandals announced after the tragedy that it would install carbon monoxide detectors in all its hotel rooms in the Caribbean.