Nearly 100,000 in California Are Under Evacuation Orders or Warnings

Almost 49,000 people were under evacuation orders and another 50,000 were under evacuation warnings across California on Tuesday morning, state officials said in their first official accounting of the state of the latest storm.

More than 220,000 utility customers were without power in the state, according to Brian Ferguson, a spokesman for the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services.

The oceanside counties of Santa Cruz, Monterey and Santa Barbara, all of which lie between San Francisco and Los Angeles, have borne the brunt of the impact so far.

In Monterey County, flooding that began Monday has forced evacuations along the Carmel and Salinas rivers, Mr. Ferguson said. In Santa Cruz County, the wind, rain and tides have battered buildings and infrastructure along the beaches.

A number of communities in Santa Barbara County have been ordered evacuated, including Montecito, the site of a series of devastating mudslides five years ago that killed 23 people.



Source link

Previous post Boxing schedule for 2023: Artur Beterbiev vs. Anthony Yarde, Josh Taylor vs. Jack Catterall on tap
Next post A generic political dispute becomes an interesting look at demography